What are we looking for?
We’re looking for Dutch based makers with a clear concept. You’ve already taken some steps to develop your ideas but haven’t received funding yet. You are able to come up with a first version of your logline and provide a first sketch or mood board. You’re able to share your expectations of this idea and are able to explain what your target audience is for this concept. You are at that crucial point: do I go ahead with this idea?
What is in it for you?
The winner of the pitch will receive €5.000 to start developing their project. But… that is not all. In order to prepare all shortlisted artists for this pitch, we offer two online workshops about pitching in the weeks leading up to the pitch, so you develop and grow your skills in this field. These workshops will be given by Milo Cremer Eindhoven (Submarine, writer, script coach) and Gwyneth Sleutel (dramaturg NTR and script coach) and a pitch expert we’ll announce later. On the day of the pitch all shortlisted artists present their idea to a professional jury. They’ll also get the opportunity to have 1-on-1 conversations with them to extend their network and get extra feedback.
How can you apply?
Send an email with a PDF in English to email@example.com with the following information:
– Explain the concept of animation you are looking to develop (max. 750 words)
– Explain to us how you go about creating this project. With whom would you like to create this project? (max. 500 words)
– Name three animation films which showcase the inspiration for your idea (either style wise, or in storytelling)
– Add a CV and links to other projects you have created (either animation or other disciplines)
– Please deliver a maximum of 20 pages total
– Deadline: Friday 1 March 12.00 (also read the paragraph Schedule / Important dates)
Other questions we received
Can I use the budget to reimburse myself to further develop my plan?
Yes, you can, but also use this opportunity to already collaborate with a writer, a concept artist etc.
Can I propose a project while I am not graduated yet?
Yes, you can but we prefer young professionals. We developed the pitch to support emerging artists after they graduate to create and initiate their next autonomous project.
I am not based in The Netherlands, but I am developing a project with another artist that is based in The Netherlands. Can I apply?
Yes, you can, but only if the project is really a co-directing project with an equal share in artistic vision and creativity.
Good to know
- You don’t have to be Dutch to apply, but you do need to live and work in the Netherlands.
- The application must be in English
- You cannot apply if already have some funding for your project and looking to increase your budget.
What does the pitch entail?
- A pitch of 4 minutes (in English) with supporting imagery
- Feedback of 10 minutes by the jury
- The pitch is open for the audience of The Art Department to attend
Tünde Vollenbroek (animation producer Studio Pupil)
Simon Buijs (head of design at BUCK)
Job, Joris & Marieke (animation directors)
Schedule / Important dates
Mon 29/01 – 15.00h – Online info meeting: we are open to answer all your questions regarding the call: www.whereby.com/plgr
Fri 01/03 – 12.00h – Deadline open call
Mon 18/03 – Announcement shortlist 5 participants Animation Pitch
Wed 25/03 14.30 – 1st online pitch workshop by Milo Cremer Eindhoven
Wed 03/04 11.00 – 2nd online pitch workshop by Gwyneth Sleutel
Fri 19/04 – Playgrounds Animation Pitch during The Art Department + network meetings.
The winner of the pitch is announced on the main stage in the afternoon.